As the saying goes - no pain, no gain. I've experienced some of the things mentioned below, but not all of them. Maybe you have. Feel free to add one in the comment section below.
Here we go:
1. Waiting in line to use the washroom, even if it's really long.
2. Getting through a 3 hour exam when you feel like your hand is going to fall off and when you would rather rush to finish in the first hour by guessing the answers.
3. Ending relationships with friends who aren't a good influence.
5. Waking up early most days of the year for school or work.
6. Waking up early to go on vacation.
7. Working out at the end of a long day when it's the last thing you want to do.
8. Receiving counsel / constructive criticism.
9. Moving to a new continent, especially when you've lived in a small area for most of your life.
10. Taking bad-tasting medicine when you're sick.
11. Confessing and coming completely clean to someone you've lied to.
12. Getting your braids done when you're a little girl who can't sit still for more than 30 minutes.
13. Going to a cardio-based gym class for the first time.
14. Failing at something you really want to do, again and again, until you get it right. The endurance pays off.
15. Giving counsel / constructive criticism.
16. Holding on to your beliefs and not giving in even when everyone makes fun of you for them. Ah the blissful feeling when those beliefs are proven to be 100% accurate.
17. Saving your money when all your friends are spending and there are things you'd really like to buy.
18. Keeping your cool when someone taunts you to retaliate.
19. Every single time I get into a swimming pool and those first 5 seconds when I freeze if the water isn't really warm.
21. Getting through a long car/bus journey so you can get back home to your warm, comfortable bed.
Check out a post similar to this, "150 Things I Love About Writing".
Let's talk about 2 categories mentioned above:
1. Travel-related experiences
Travel-related experiences are often painful, like having to sit in a car for hours while on a road trip, but the beautiful scenery that you may see on the journey more than makes up for it.
Needless to say, it's brilliant to finally arrive at the destination.
Travelling by plane to the opposite side of the world involves a lot of time and preparation. It's also really tiresome - from the moment you leave the house, till the moment you reach the hotel. However, I'm sure that most of us would agree that having the opportunity to see a new country or culture is worth it!
2. Relationship-related experiences
It can be difficult to end ties with people who are not supportive of your goals and intentions in life, especially when they seem to be fun to 'just hang out with'. On the flip side, it can also be difficult to stick with a friend through thick and thin, to forgive them when they really hurt you but they're sorry.
Painful experiences that pay off in the long run.
Also, sometimes you will have very difficult but necessary conversations with people you love. Communication can be painful but beneficial in the long run. Pouring out your feelings to someone you trust is often like that, but it's in the end it's refreshing to let someone carry the burden with you and hear your struggles.
Some of these experiences are obviously more serious than others. However, these painful experiences reguarly come and go in our lives, and we always hope that they quickly pass so we can get onto something much better!
Feb 27, 20 11:58 PM
There are an abundance of things to do in Brisbane, and on my trip this month I was glad to be able to check quite a few things off my list in just five days.
Jan 30, 20 02:47 AM
Below is an excerpt from Jhené Aiko's Poetry Book, 2Fish, that is both moving and beautiful. Here's a moment of reflection on the words and the meaning they convey.
Jan 14, 20 02:08 PM
Time to reflect on my top 5 blog posts from Q3 & 4 of 2019. Here we go!
If you can see this, please share this post with the buttons below :)